in love with love

I used to be. In love with love, I mean. I've toned it down a bit (I think) over the past year or two - a few hard knocks helped me out - but there's still a part of me that is absolutely fascinated with love. To me, love is the ultimate sacrifice, the quintessential adventure, the closest we come to perfection on this earth (some people might point to children, but they don't excite me nearly as much as love does).

Anyone that meets me in my current state of denial and anti-dating and whatnot would probably be fairly surprised to to hear my confession that I get off on weddings. I fucking adore them. They're having your cake and eating it, too. They're commitment, romance and beauty all in one day full of the best intentions known to man. Weddings (slash love) are two people looking each other in the eye, swearing before God and man that they're in this for the long haul. They're going to beat the odds, they're going to make it work, they're going to take two incredibly imperfect people and give it their best shot.

The thing I love most about love is simply that it's all about acceptance and forgiveness. It's kind of that final step in growing up, giving up the very human expectations we have of each other, and just taking people the way they are. Love is someone looking you in the eye and saying, "Hey. I love you. I know everything you do wrong, I know everything you've fucked up, and I still love you for it and accept you and not only do I want to spend forever with you, I can't imagine forever without you." Love isn't blind. It just looks past the mistakes.

That's why I say that love is the closest we come to perfection. When we love, we have ourselves taken a step closer to perfect by ignoring our selfish nature, and we also have allowed our counterpart to similarly move closer with us because we no longer hold their faults against them.

That's really what I love about love. Two imperfect people finding perfection in each other.

1 comments:

~heather said...

For what it's worth...here's my two cents

keep your beauty, but don't let the reality of a marriage take you by surprise

there's huge opportunities to hold fault against one another here. as much as I thought "I do" would be a magic spell, it's a promise just like any other you make, only bigger

I now see Dave with very sharp distinction. His selfishness and laziness are awesomely loud and in my face, sometimes too close for me to see anything else.

But I also see infinetely more his compassion and his gracious nature toward messed up people, his long-suffering patience in the face of extreme exasperations

what is interesting about life is that all relationships, especially the close ones, teach us about God relating to us. And being married to Dave, knowing him and knowing myself, seeing how hard it is to forgive, I marvel that God forgave any of us ever.

I guess...what I've been learning about is deep imperfections, flaws more serious than we thought we signed up for, in both of us.

It's only been two months, and there's so much so hard to articulate. but be ready for the grit when it comes.