someone like you and all you know and how you speak

He asked me what my issues were. I asked him what his were.

Apparently, I am afraid of attachment. He has trouble sharing his feelings.

We're now dating.

For someone as happy being single as I was, this was more of a fight than anyone could know. And at the same time, it was perhaps the easiest, sweetest and most right relationships of them all. I told him, had he asked me the night we met to date, I would have said no. Even a month in, I still told him I wasn't ready. But only two weeks after I said that... here I am. A girlfriend.

He taught me how to shoot a gun and drive a manual car. I taught him how to bake cookies. He loves the parts of me I try to hide, and I can't get over how he makes me laugh.

And I'm realizing, more than anything, that relationships are built on the differences, the pieces of ourselves that don't match up. And they're work to find the common ground, to open up, to let yourself fit together.

And it's the moments when you're sitting there and hands slide together and bodies curl around each other that you realize this totally absurd concept of (to quote my friend Tali) two independent people simply wanting to be together is actually possible. Not only just possible, it's the most rewarding feeling in the world.

4 comments:

Hilary Claire said...

Very true statement: "Two entirely different people can find themselves attracted to one another because of their differences and even bond over their uncommon traits".... ask me to tell you the story of my parents haha!

Hilary Claire said...

BTW.... 3 couples have formed in the past week that were dating for less than a month... I've been dating my man for 4 1/2... after subtly asking him last night "what we were"... he responded... "Ahh! the big question... Just tell people I rock your world"... WHAT THE FUCK!

jawsxtheme said...

i love you and im so glad youre happy

L.E. said...

Great entry.....