what's good for you

For the first time in the history of my relationships, I am looking at the future.

For the past year, I thought I wasn't a "future" kind of girl. No rings, no white dresses, no bouquets to throw. No homes, no mortgages (at least, not with anyone's name beside mine on the papers). Certainly no children - they are the EPITOME of the future.

And then I met him. And things changed.

It's my little victory - this weekend, I will be celebrating my longest relationship (i.e., two months and SIX WHOLE DAYS). In another month, I will hopefully triumph over the Curse of May with him by my side. And honestly? I wouldn't be surprised if we actually made it all the way.

It's the little jokes about having children, but always with the "if" hanging over it. Using the "L" word, but only kidding. Playing with fingers and rings without saying a word. Describing wedding plans, in the hypothetical sense. And the other plans, so many plans, that might have nothing to do with marriage but everything to do with commitment. These things make me wonder if one day, I will share the white dress, the bouquet and the mortgage with him.

(Even my mother has noticed and made her own predictions about the possibilities of a ring on my finger in an ungodly short amount of time.)

But my favorite thing about us is that for I don't have to worry because we are in no rush to do anything. We're not rushing the ring. We drink in just being with each other, and there's that underlying assumption that there's never going to be a drought.

It's thrilling. It's scary. These are uncharted waters for me, but I've got a fellow sailor next to me who doesn't mind the lack of map. People always say it's the journey, not the destination, that matters - I'm ready for both.

4 comments:

Hilary Claire said...

I think that I should meet this man. I think that you should invite me on one of your dates... and have him bring bring a friend... (aka: double/blind date haha!)

Tricia Jean said...

I love LOVE this version of you. Welcome to the terror and joy of a "healthy" relationship.

trey said...

considering that's how we met... I will never diss a double/blind date again!

jawsxtheme said...

so it is absolutely thrilling to see this optimistic, happy side of traci that isn't throwing love on the floor and saying it sucks. absolutely beautiful.

and i am right there with you with the future stuff. for the first time, i'm actually considering one. and it's the scariest thing ever because i realize it means making sacrifices. but i'm still thinking about it, for real, and that's a huge step.

but like you said. just let it happen. enjoy the journey.