moving on

My key ring has lost two of its valuable members this past week.

A couple of days ago, I gave the Rices their key back, since I won't be needing to stay there over the summer despite my class the latter part of the summer. Today, I turned in my key to my office with the student government here at AU.

I'm assuming there's some significance in this - aside from the fact my key ring is lighter (people always make fun of me for the mess of keys, gadgets and keychains I keep on my carabiner). I guess one can speak to the transient nature of life, leaving homes behind and gaining new keys to signify the additional achievements in life.

But fuck all that.

I sort of feel like I lost family after turning those keys in. Granted, the SG family has disbanded, making way for the new executives, but my office mates will actually still be there for the next year, and I miss Natalie already. Giving the key back to the Rices (along with packing up several of my earthly belongings and carting them away) also depressed me, since they really did become my family over the past year (and this time I don't have a new fish to cheer me up). It'll never be the same, you know? I'll always be friends with them, but that element of being one of their "kids" has sort of dissipated.

I love how I attach ridiculous amounts of sentiment to the most irrational inanimate objects, don't you?

1 comments:

Natalie said...

Aww I miss you too! It's not the same without you in the office. I took everything off the walls and started fresh. It's just not the same with new people.