Way to Normal


Today, I went out and bought my first CD in about a year.

It started out because I didn't want to spend money on music. It continued because I didn't have money to spend on music. It continued further because I started getting music from friends and the school for free. But it's finally stopped because I've started feeling guilty and now, though still a poor college student, I've established enough of an income that when I find an album worth purchasing, I'll splurge.

It's actually a delightful feeling, as weird as that sounds. I didn't download because I got a "rush" out of it, I did it because, well, I was lazy. But holding that CD in my hand, trying to rip the damn plastic wrap off with my teeth, opening it the way Tricia showed me... it took me back, I guess, to the old days of each CD being a little adventure. A complete packing of sound, graphics and words that would rock my world for weeks at a time, never leaving my side. Something about the tangibility, the solidness of the CD and the case and the unique smell of printing the CD insert and plastic just brought on this onslaught of absolute adoration for music. I felt 15 again, buying the Gutterflower and Say It Like You Mean It and GOODbye, Moon.

I haven't felt 15 in a long time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being fifteen felt like being on a rollercoaster you badly wanted to enjoy but most of the time you were just settling for not throwing up.

There I go again. I don't suppose you'd tell us what the CD is, now, would you?

L.E. said...

But do you like it?

(For Jansy: Way To Normal, Ben Fold's newest cd, I'm assuming?)

I downloaded it and the new Jack's Mannequin cd and have yet to listen to either because of all my homework. What tracks do you recommend?

Tricia Jean said...

That's right; there's only ONE real way to open a CD.
[I think we cling to CDs simply because there ISN'T A REASON to do so. We KNOW CDs are dying -- the way records died, the way VHS died -- but it's kind of a beautiful tragedy. There's something solid and tangible about these media that we can handle and attach memories to. That's why romantics still listen to records and still watch VHS tapes. Because they're dead, they're the ghosts of what we used to be.]

trey said...

Elie is correct, the album that entry was about was Ben Folds' Way To Normal. I love it, for the record. I actually got such a kick out of the whole experience I bought Jack's Mannequin's The Glass Passenger the day after, and then after that, Simple Times by Joshua Radin.

Just wait-- they'll be making a 'High Fidelity' for CDs, one of these days...

PS- can I say how tickled I am to have you guys here? I am. Tickled, that is.