Why technology will never be enough

We have come so far.


Consider the past hundred years.  Cars, planes, telephones, computers, the Internet.  Think about the past decade alone.  Mp3 players, mobile phones with internet, cameras that take videos and cars that tell you where to drive. 

I'm not that advanced technologically, especially compared to, say, my best friend-slash-roommate.  I don't follow podcasts, I don't read keynotes and I rarely watch tech TV shows or follow the blogs that would keep me toeing the cutting edge of where our society is headed- robots, gas-less cars, teleporting.

But tonight, the limits of technology really have hit me.  I've spent almost an hour in the photo lab trying to get these pictures to print, and the magnitude of difference from what I saw in my eye that night to what appears in my camera, to what goes on the screen and then becomes the physical print... it's insane.  Imagine living in color and then watching a video of yourself in black and white- the difference is shattering.  We pride ourselves on how we've come so far, how this camera's color gamut is extensive and this lens can let in so much light, but compared to the human eye, they still fall so terribly short.

I don't know how anyone can believe we formed out of a monkey, that there wasn't a Being who had all of us and our intricacies, our personalities, our flaws all in mind before pressing the "create" button.  Like, for real?

I may not be able to create a video, give traffic-avoiding directions or give any sort of tangible memory.  But my eyes and my ears can see and hear the most amazing sights and sounds that nothing any man makes will ever be able to recreate in their original glory.

We can keep trying, but we will never be God.