friday five

I apologize that this is not, in fact, posted on Friday.  But life happens.  You know how it is.


Top 5 Weird Jobs I'm Considering

1.  Wedding planner
For someone who is so vehemently opposed to getting near a big white dress and "I do," I think I would be perhaps the most phenomenal wedding planner to walk this earth.  I'm organized, I have a good eye for design and color and I can crunch the numbers to make sure the bride and groom stay within the budget.  I'm a multi-tasker - I can do hair, I've got loads of creative solutions for those last minute problems right before she walks down the aisle and I've got a great power walk and menacing upwards loom for any catering staff that would DARE to tell me they don't have enough of the lemon chicken we ordered.  

Brides would love me.  I'd probably end up hating all of them.

2.  Bartender
I've always wanted to bartend.  I'm not sure why.  Perhaps it's my general amusement by alcohol and those under its influence in the happy, safe and ridiculous kind of way.  My parents would be abhorred that their child would be one to perpetuate domestic violence and the general slide into immorality, but dude.  Bartenders, good ones, and even okay ones, can make bank.  And considering I'm a pretty good conversationalist, I've got great hair and I'm female, I think I would be one to make bank.

3.  Secretary
I know, how boring and blah and what a waste of all that creativity you have percolating inside of you, jewel... but really?  Think of me in an office, surrounded by paper clips, dry erase markers, calendars, sticky notes, manila folders, pens and a computer?  I think I'd basically fall over myself to sit in that swirly office chair.  Another bonus of a secretarial position is that you wouldn't "take the work home" with you.  You go, 9-5 with the envelopes, and then leave.  Free.

Maybe I should just work at Staples instead.

4.  Painter
Not like, in the artiste sort of way.  I mean an interior painter.  With rollers and Duron and co-workers who most likely don't speak English.  I don't know, this has always been my joking fallback option if being an actor didn't work out.  I like colors, and I always dream about painting my own room wacky and ridiculous colors, it'd be pretty cool to paint everyone else's instead.

5.  Personal Assistant
Now, Jamie warned me off of this, saying it was frustrating and you had to do the stupid jobs that no one wants to do, but I still think it would be really ridiculous to be a PA.  I'm totally down for getting dry cleaning, coffee, going grocery shopping or planning my boss's dinners with clients.  This kind of reads into the Wedding Planner, but my talent for multitasking and simply getting shit done would make me a phenomenal PA.  

The added bonus is that then I'd be so busy managing someone else's life, I wouldn't have the time to worry about mine.

2 comments:

kj said...

Okay, really, who wouldn't want a whole desk full of things to play with? I loved covering the desk at Observera for that reason. Although you'd probably be happier being a "receptionist" than a "secretary" -- less work, prettier workspace, more time to surf Craigslist.

kj said...

You know, come to think of it, some of this summer's potential jobs have been discussed recently. I'll let you guess which ones. :)