it's time for greatness

It hit me today as I sat in class.


Tomorrow, we elect the next president.

Being in D.C., it's so easy to turn a deaf ear to the election and politics in general.  I get so inundated  with everything political at AU, I start to not care.  I forget that when I sit at my little table, analyzing the media's coverage of Sarah Palin and her pregnant daughter, when we look at the implications of Obama's "fist bump," we're not just discussing everyday politicians, we are looking at people that could be in control of perhaps the greatest country in the free world.

I forget that I am a citizen, not just a student.  I have responsibilities beyond midterms.  I have (however small) power, I have a voice outside the classroom.  And nothing should keep me from using that at this crucial time, no matter how certain I think this election is.

So with that in mind, despite the two papers I have due in less than a week, despite rehearsals every single night, despite losing hair, sleep and my mind, I will be driving home tonight so I can get up in the morning and vote.

0 comments: