generations of epic

My grandfather was a hero.  

He served in World War II and got a Purple Heart.  He married a woman beautiful enough to be a movie star.  They had three kids, two girls and a boy.  His only son is my dad.

When I was about nine, my grandfather suffered a stroke.  It left him with speech and physical difficulties, but he kept going.  He died when I was about twelve or thirteen.  It was my first funeral.

I remember one visit to their house, he sat me down in the den.  And he began telling me, fighting through the speech problems, how when he was a young man, he voted for no one but a Democrat.  But later in life, he said he changed to voting for the Republicans because the Democratic values had changed, and he couldn't stay loyal to them any longer.

As a ten year old, I did my best to understand.  

Now as an almost-21 year old, I hope I understand.

Today was my first time voting in a presidential election.  And wow, talk about epic.  I stood in my little voting booth for a full minute just staring at my choices.  I even took a picture with my phone, which is currently set to my wallpaper, of that flashing "VOTE" button on the screen.  I don't understand how anyone could not vote.  

It's funny how numb I felt before today.  Right now I'm on fire, and I hope it doesn't change.

Papa, I hope you're proud.